- The surface of Thermal Foam Gasket(TFG) is made of graphite with excellent horizontal thermal conductivity and transfers heat of heat source (circuit element, etc.) to the heatsink or metal plate over a short time, spreading heat widely and lowering temperature of heat source.
- Heat resistant urethane foam is applied as core material to improve resilience and adhesion and to minimize its weight.
- Wide range of use without restriction of thickness, which is a disadvantage of existing silicone gap pads.
- Compared to existing silicone gap pad method
- Graphite with excellent horizontal thermal conductivity (400W/mK) used
- All of graphite surface and side are covered with PET film to prevent particles from graphite.
- No possibility of bending PCB due to its excellent elasticity and non-excessive pressure on PCB.
- Various sizes and shapes can be manufactured according to the application, and it is easy to adjust the heat performance and hardness.
- Holding several related patents
Test product size: Width 30mm, Length 30mm, Thickness 3mm
||ASTM C 518, ASTM E 1530-06
||K 30112, CTI
||ASTM D 149
Thermal conductivity comparison with existing silicone pad
- Sample size of TFG and Silicone pad: 28(W) x 32(L) x 10.5(T)
- Measuring temperature change by pressing 20% of the specimen on the heating plate.
- After heating the heating plate to 150°C and attaching the TFG sample, measures the time from when the temperature sensor reaches 40℃ to when it reaches 60℃.
||Average Reaching Time
||400 W/mK* (Graphite Sheet)
* Horizontal thermal conductivity standards (It is based on the horizontal thermal conductivity because the use method of a graphite sheet is different from the silicone pad.)
** Vertical thermal conductivity standards (It is the typical standard of thermal efficiency for silicone pad.)
※ Advantages of TFG compared to silicon thermal pad
- Silicone pads have siloxanes that are harden when used for a long period of time, but TFG is free from siloxane generation.
- Silicone pads have poor compressive restoring force, which may deteriorate the adhesion, but TFG uses a high-resilience sponge and has good compressive restoring force so that the adhesion can be maintained over time.
- Silicon pads tend to be harden over time, which can cause PCB bent, but TFG is lightweight and highly elastic, so there is little concern about PCB warpage.
- TFG is easy to go lighter than silicone pads in case the big gap between heat source and heatsink are designed.
TFG transfers heat from heat source to heatsink or metal plate to prevent overheating.
Application of large area array type
Optimal heat conduction system for effective heat dissipation of large area
- The graphite sheet with excellent horizontal thermal conductivity effectively dissipates the heat energy of the heat source and transmits it to the heatsink, effectively suppressing the temperature rise of the device.
- Heat resisting polyurethane sponge provides good compression resilience.
- For the same size, the heat transfer efficiency increases as the number of arrays increases.
- Easy to manufacture in various sizes.
Performance test results
- Measure 100mm (W) x 100mm (L) x 3mm (T) samples by array number.
- Set the temperature of the upper hot plate to 150℃ and set the temperature of the lower measuring part at 35℃
- Place the sample between the top and bottom and compress by 20%
- Measure the time at which the upper row is transferred to the lower measuring unit through the sample and reaches a certain temperature (Measuring the time from the starting temperature of the lower measuring part to 40℃ to the reaching time of 60℃)
Compared to a single type without an array, the results show that as the number of arrays is increased to 2, 3, 4, etc., the efficiency of heat conduction increases.
|Number of Array
||Heat conduction comparison test result (Sec.)